Follow engineer Shane Wilson as he demonstrates tried and true tracking methods, that are rarely learned by an intern, all in the context of a real-time tracking session.
About Shane Wilson|
Shane Wilson's extensive discography includes Switchfoot, Third Day, Mercy Me, Owsley, David Crowder Band and Big Kenny. Although he still loves tracking, he mostly enjoys continued demand as a mix engineer. You can reach him through his myspace page.
Just some of the secrets revealed:
Shane explains his techniques in detail and more importantly, what he's thinking as he adjusts his settings.
- Drum miking
- Bass guitar - amp vs. DI
- Compression for acoustic guitar
- Stacking electric guitar tones
- Vocals - miking / EQ / compression
- Keyboards - piano / B3 organ / Wurlitzer
Bonus: A roundtable discussion between Shane, Russ Long, and Lynn Fuston of 3daudioinc.com, about the challenges of audio comparisons.
- Over two hours of documentary footage
- The same musical performance featured in Shane Wilson's Guide to Mixing
- All gear settings shown close up
- Studio setup - a complete rundown of Shane's tracking rig
- A second data DVD containing two sets of 24-bit audio files
- Processed: The files as recorded by Shane in the session
- Unprocessed: Same performances, simultaneously recorded from the output of the mic preamp.